Labs Manual Transaction Reconcile Issue

I have a few issues that I can’t figure out! All these are with manually added transactions.
1 - is that I have transactions that are split and part of it shows as not reconciled, while the rest is.

2 - I have a transaction that show as unrecognized but has cleared my back and it gives me nothing to match it too.

3 - I have 2 transactions from Amazon that are the same amount but a couple of days apart. However when I reconcile it wants to match them as the same transaction.

Also now when I run the reconcile wizard it says no matches are found for those transactions but it won’t let me see them. Is there away on the transaction sheet to tell if something is reconciled?

Any help with any one of these things would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some ideas…others may have insight, too…

1. As a rule, you should split manual transactions only after the un-split sources are reconciled. (Not sure how a portion of a split transaction was reconciled. You may have mismatched a portion of a split with another cleared transaction.)

2. I have had this issue when I don’t put the correct account in the manual transaction dialogue.
    (Was it checking or my credit card?) Sometimes, I may enter the transaction as a deposit when it is really a withdrawal. So it hangs out there reconciled, but cleared at the bank or my credit card statement, until I find the problem in my sheet (Then, I just delete the data in the Metadata column to keep this transaction from appearing in the options list for matching.) (If it was a withrawal instead of a deposit or vice verse, be sure to change the amount in your sheet, too. :slight_smile:)

3. Amazon…Watch the matching of transactions carefully and skip those that aren’t exactly the same.

4. Un-reconciled manual transactions will have data in the Metadata column on the Transaction sheet that look like this: “{“manualTransaction”:{“reconcile”:true,“ignoredIds”:}}.” After these are reconciled, these data are removed. You can sort your sheet by the Metadata column to see where your un-reconciled transactions are. (I use conditional formatting to shade these rows so I can see them more easily.)

Does that help?

2 Likes
  1. Yes, @twirl23, as @Brad.warren says, don’t split transactions before they are reconciled. The reconcile function is built to allow you to input pending transactions (like a check that you wrote) and to help you later match that to a non-pending transaction that comes into your sheet via Tiller Money Feeds. The reconcile function does not work across splits.
  2. The account, amount and date (within your reconcile range) must match for a reconcile match to trigger. As @Brad.warren says, an account mismatch is a likely candidate to break a possible match.
  3. I don’t quite understand… Are you saying the reconcile engine wants to match them together? Or that it is flagging them both as possible matches to an unreconciled (manual) transactions. The former shouldn’t be possible because the Amazon charges should not have metadata that identifies them as unreconciled. If it is the latter, then use the reconcile workflow review functionality to just skip over the non-matching transactions.
  4. You can wire up a filter on the Metadata column to show transactions containing "reconcile":true to see transactions that are pending reconciliation. When you skip transactions in the reconcile review workflow, they are added to the ignoredIds array within the metadata (so you don’t have to skip them again and again). If you accidentally skipped a transaction that was actually the match, I recommend deleting all of the ids within the ignoredIds brackets and rerunning the reconcile engine.

Good luck.
Randy

P.S. Really great feedback and insights, @Brad.warren!

Hi. I just discovered your reply when searching for how the manual reconcile function works. I would also like to set up conditional formatting to easily identify unreconciled transactions, but can’t get the rule right. Would you mind sharing your rule construction for shading those rows? Thanks!

Happy to @pjsiebert. You’ll find the tool I use near the end of this post on Conditional Formatting. Let me know if you have any questions. Glad to help. (This is especially helpful this time of year when transaction volume tends to be heavier and you want to stay up-to-date.)

Best.

@randy @Brad.warren Sorry to open up this topic again, but I’m having some trouble with the “Reconcile Transactions” tool. I have two manually added transactions (from a month ago) that the tool won’t even recognize as “unreconciled”. (As in when I run the “Reconcile Transactions” tool they don’t even show up in the list of manual transactions that need matches.) I just tried deleting those two transactions and re-entering them in the sheet, but still no luck. I’ve had a number of manually added transactions since then that have worked just fine, so I’m not sure what the holdup with these two is. Their “matches” have gone thru already, although that shouldn’t have anything to do with the problem I’m having. Is there a way to manually force two lines to reconcile? Any help would be appreciated!

Daniel

Hi @dnlhflnd:

No problem asking again! @randy or @heather will know more than I.

I have had the same issue, and I think it may be related somehow to the idea where the Reconcile engine proposes a transaction as a possible match, the proposed item is very similar but not exact, and you correctly skip it.

For some reason, the manually added transaction involved in the comparison no longer appears as an option in future searches. ( I think!)

In these cases, after those transactions’ matches appear in the downloads, i have simply been deleting the un-reconciled lines.

Not the best, but it works. I should have reported the issue, too.

@Randy or @heather, any ideas?

Thanks for helping.