The Tiller Labs add-on restore & upgrade workflows work pretty well when pulling data from upstream sheets (e.g. updating the Monthly Budget which pulls from Transactions), but we have noticed they sometimes don’t update reliably when pushing data to downstream sheets (e.g. updating Accounts which pushes to Balances). The issue is just that the inter-sheet links can be brittle when performing a restore on an upstream sheet.
(Last week, I found a bug in the Accounts sheet that caused the last-balance query to fail when the Balance History sheet was not sorted properly. This is what the new version of the Accounts sheet addresses.)
A few shortcuts & notes for next time:
- There should be an option to archive the existing version of the sheet during an upgrade. Next time, if you do this, you can just copy the old Accounts overrides into the new sheet, then delete the archived sheet. (Sounds like you tried this.)
- The Accounts sheet only requires entries when you wish to apply an override— i.e.
Hide. If you are satisfied with the defaults for an account, a row in the Accounts sheet is not required; the account will be included in other sheets (like Balances).
- If you wish to populate column A with a list of all accounts, one shortcut I use is to copy the values in column F (hidden) then “Paste special / paste value only” into column A.
I’m not sure I understand why the copy from your archived sheet didn’t work. Did you paste as values? Were the new values you pasted rejected somehow? The change shouldn’t affect the way the account names are validated in the new vs. old sheet. Could you try unhiding the right hand side of the Accounts sheet and see if an accurate list of accounts appears in column F?
The update definitely should not have broken anything about your linked accounts. Essentially, the Accounts sheet consolidates information about your accounts and is referenced by other “downstream” sheets. If the data isn’t properly consolidated in the Accounts sheet, then other sheets may (temporarily) show missing account data.
Once we fix your Accounts sheet, I believe the problem in your Insights sheet will resolve… though you may need to restore that one too.
I’m sorry for all the hassle, @susandennis.
I hope this helps. Let me know if more help is needed.
P.S. As for the “could not restore” error, I have seen that too and it makes me twitchy as well. I believe it is a Google issue and I’m hoping they resolve it soon.